Sunday, March 2, 2014

Response Paper #1

The most recent book I've read was called The Fault in Our Stars written by a famous YouTuber-turned-author by the name of John Green. I chose this book because it was a bestseller and I've heard nothing but great things about it from everyone who has read it. The general topic of the book is a story of teens that fall in love but they also happen to have incurable cancer. One of the major things that happen in the book is that the main female character, the narrator, has a problem with her Stage 4 Thyroid cancer in her lungs. A major opinion in the book is that not all kids with cancer become their disease. They are still kids who can fall in love and get their heart broken just like everyone else. This can relate to current events because kids with cancer get all sorts of special treatment just because they’re dying of disease. The main character, Hazel Grace Lancaster, doesn't want the world to treat her special just because she has cancer. She still does everyday things and no one bothers her. This is reminiscent of BatKid and how he “saved” Gotham City (AKA San Francisco). This just so happened to be his Make-A-Wish wish and I think that it was utterly ridiculous. A lot of streets were closed and some people might have been late to work that day or maybe something else happened to other people during that commotion. Bringing it back to the book, I don’t normally read fictional books that have made me think of how society functions, like this one did. This book is written so beautifully that, in the end, I cried a little. I became so attached to these characters and their seemingly true story of life, love and disease. If anyone has the chance, I would completely recommend this book to read.

1 comment:

  1. Melissa,
    Well said (and written!). This is an informative and effective, I might add, review.
    18/18 pts

    ReplyDelete